Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

Our trip to SC for thankgiving is a mixed bag. For starters, I haven't been home for quite a while and I was excited to see my parents. On the other hand, my 2 brothers and their wives wouldn't be there but my little sister would be. So needless to say, we would not have the whole family together for the holiday. It's a bummer but I'll get over it. Every year for the last ten or so years we've had thanksgiving at "Momma Cooks" house. We all would gather together and enjoy the holiday in Spartanburg. Last year I was working and could not go home so this year I was excited to be coming home...especially with Morgan.

Momma Cook fell a few weeks ago and had to be hospitalized because of the fall. She had broken one of her ribs. Her condition is critical even as I type this on my phone.

After morgan and I woke up this morning we asked when we could get to the hospital. Mom decided we would have thanksgiving meal in the hospital. We all wanted to be together....to be close to Momma Cook. So we brought our ham and fixings to a small breakroom and had it there. That's how we wanted it to be.

People showed up all day. Mom said that she felt that "Momma" was holding on for some reason. I have to say that I really wanted to see her before she got worse....if she got worse at all. As soon as I walked in, morgan and I grabed her hands...that was Mommas thing...she loved to hold our hands as she spoke to us. She was glad to see us. She didn't say much. Just a few words. Soon after we got there things turned for he worse. The nurses would come in to check on how things were going. After a while one of the nurses said that her heart rate was running faster.

We left the room while they checked on her. Back and forth, from the waiting room to her room we went, making phone calls and passing time. After she stablized, we began to sing sing hymns in the room. Beth, mommas daughter in law, began the group with Amazing Grace.

After a moment of singing we began talking and laughing again. Pretty soon it was late and we began to get tired. I took mom, Gabby and Morgan back home and dad stayed behind for a couple of hours. I picked da up from the hospital later on that night.

So that was basically our Thanksgiving. It wasn't perfect by others standards...but it wasn't inconvenient...it just was the way it needed to be.

I'm just glad to be home for the moment.

I know she's ready to go Home...shes ready for a new body. It'll be hard to let go but we'll all be happy for her.

en la hora de Dios.
(in gods time)

- GC

.:: sent using a palm ::.

No comments: